This earthy and acidic braised cabbage is an excellent accompaniment to any wild game bird dish.
Braised Cabbage with BaconDecember 2, 2015 Print
Recipe courtesy of Todd Perrin, Mallard Cottage, Quidi Vidi, N.L.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (1-1/2 lb) (750 g) cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 4 Tbsp (60 ml) butter
- In a large Dutch oven, fry bacon over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Drain off all but 1 Tbsp (15 ml) fat.
- Stir in onion; fry until softened and bacon is cooked but not crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in cabbage, wine, cream, vinegar, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer, stirring often, for 12 minutes.
- Stir in butter until melted and serve. Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish.
Freshly picked spruce tips add an incredible lemony-forest aroma to this otherwise simple ...
This dish is best served medium-rare, which brings out the full flavour of this lean wild ...
Smoking on hay may sound exotic, but this is a simple technique that infuses game birds li...