This is a family favourite! My grandmother and mother created a recipe book for me and this recipe was in here – TWICE. That’s how much we love it. I’m a food blogger and this was one of my most popular recipes back when I shared it a few years ago.
Christmas Shortbread Cookies with Almond ButtercreamDecember 7, 2018 Print
Recipe courtesy of Hilary Smith, Rothesay, N.B.
- 1 lb (block or four sticks) of butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of corn starch
- 1 cup of icing sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (more to taste)
- 2 1/2 cups of icing sugar (more depending on how stiff you like your frosting)
- Remove butter from the fridge about two hours before you intend on cooking with it. Or, warm it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Cream the butter using a stand or handheld mixer until fluffy.
- Add one cup of flour and one cup of corn starch. Mix. Add sugar and remaining cups of flour and corn starch. Stir again. Once the dough comes together, stop mixing right away.
- Preheat your oven to 325ºF. Lightly dust a clean baking surface and your rolling pin with flour. Divid dough into three pieces, roll each it until flat, about as thick as a standard magazine. Use your favourite cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and bake cookies for 8–10 minutes until they are just the faintest bit beige around the outside. They will still look white on top. Turning them over will reveal a beige, not brown, bottom. Cool on a wire rack when done.
- Prepare your frosting by creaming butter, then adding 1 cup of icing sugar. Mix again. Then add milk, almond extract, and remaining sugar. Mix until creamy.
- Hand-frost or pipe the buttercream onto your cookies. Dip into sprinkles when done. Leave to rest for 30 minutes while frosting stiffens.
- Store in the fridge for up to seven days or in the freezer.
It is a wonderful citrus cake that is perfect for Christmas! It has coffee in it so you ...
Hear me out, I know most people see fruit cake as a holiday tradition to be endured rather...
A holiday classic that's as easy to make as it is to snack on....
This recipe makes a soft, chewy cookie and is so easy do do with the kids! ...
I created this recipe after a trip to Disney World at Christmas time. These amazing cook...