With stone-ground flour and a combination of seeds, this bread is hearty and healthy.
Country Harvest BreadSeptember 21, 2012 Print
Recipe courtesy of Speerville Flour Mills
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) warm water—about 120°F (49°C)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) liquid honey
- 2 tsp (10 ml) yeast
- 3 cups (750 ml) organic stone-ground spelt or whole-wheat flour (or half and half)
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) fine grey sea salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) organic flax seeds
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) organic sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) organic sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) sunflower oil
- Mix warm water and honey in 2-cup (500-ml) measuring cup until dissolved. Add yeast and let foam for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, place dry ingredients and seeds in a large bowl and combine.
- Add sunflower oil to yeast mixture.
- Add liquid mix to the flour/seed mix and combine until batter is formed.
- Knead on floured board until dough is smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about an hour).
- Punch down dough, knead again on board and shape into loaf. Place loaf in greased loaf pan and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 35–40 minutes or until golden brown and hollow tapping sound on bottom.
- Cool on wire rack out of pan.
This recipe was featured in the article Grains of Truth.