International travel to countries where coconut ice cream is common inspired this rich and sublime ice cream.
Donna’s Decadent Coconut DelightJuly 6, 2015 Print
Recipe courtesy of Donna Fitzpatrick
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1/2 tsp (3 ml) almond extract
- 2 cups (500 ml) cream
- Place coconut in a large skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned. Set aside.
- Combine eggs with sugar and heat over low heat.
- Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until heated, but don’t bring to a boil.
- Allow to cool and add coconut, almond extract and cream. Stir, then refrigerate until cold.
- Mix well and pour into an ice cream maker (Donvier is recommended), stirring frequently so it won’t stick to the sides.
- Serve in cones or bowls; makes 8 to 10 satisfying 1/2-cup (125 ml) servings.
This mixture is super hot and will splatter when you add the cream, so wear long gloves to...
Here’s an old favourite to jazz up any ice cream. The quality of the cocoa will determin...
Summer is berry season and there’s no better way to enjoy them than in this colourful, y...
The hazelnut paste gives this ice cream a wonderful, nutty dimension....
This ice cream was recommended by a friend, Bud, who recalled the flavourful ginger ice cr...
Rhubarb and ginger is a combination that provides a refreshing zing. Feel free to add more...