The hazelnut paste gives this ice cream a wonderful, nutty dimension.
Hazelnut Ice CreamJuly 6, 2015 Print
Recipe courtesy of Ditta Kasdan, DeeDee’s Ice Cream
Ingredients:For the custard base:
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) hazelnuts, chopped
- Bring the milk to simmer in heavy-bottom pot.
- Meanwhile, beat together egg yolks and sugar in large bowl.
- Slowly add hot milk to sugar and eggs while whisking.
- Return mixture to pot, stir in whipping cream and heat slowly until a bit thick. Do not boil as it may curdle.
- Refrigerate mixture, preferably overnight.
- For the hazelnut paste, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Put hazelnuts on pan and roast in oven for about 25 to 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes until they are well roasted (dark brown and almost smoky. They appear overdone but will not liquefy if under-roasted.)
- Let cool, then peel skin by rubbing.
- Blend in food processor until smooth. Nuts should liquefy within 2 minutes to make dark brown syrup. If not, they need further roasting.
- Add hazelnut mixture to custard base and mix thoroughly. Pour into ice cream maker to freeze. Makes 2 litres.
This mixture is super hot and will splatter when you add the cream, so wear long gloves to...
Here’s an old favourite to jazz up any ice cream. The quality of the cocoa will determin...
International travel to countries where coconut ice cream is common inspired this rich and...
Summer is berry season and there’s no better way to enjoy them than in this colourful, y...
This ice cream was recommended by a friend, Bud, who recalled the flavourful ginger ice cr...
Rhubarb and ginger is a combination that provides a refreshing zing. Feel free to add more...