A perennial favourite. There’s nothing like a chicken and veggie soup to warm your body and soul on a cool autumn evening.
Home-style Chicken and Vegetable SoupOctober 2, 2014 Print
Recipe courtesy of Brad Wammes, Kitchen Door Catering
- 1 whole chicken, 2.5–3 lbs (1.1–1.3 kg)
- 16 cups (4 L) cold water
- 1 each of diced celery stalk, carrot and onion for stock
- 2 sprigs thyme for stock
- 3 tsp (15 ml) salted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 tsp (15 ml) parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano, chopped
- 1 large white potato, peeled and diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and roast in a baking dish at 350°F (175°C) until the internal temperature reaches 165°F (73°C). Cool.
- Remove skin and pick all the meat from the carcass. Place carcass, skin, thyme and stock vegetables—celery, carrot and onion—into a stock pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes. Strain.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, garlic and celery and sweat until soft.
- Add fresh herbs, stock and potato. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Add chicken. Season again and enjoy.
Beef and barley are meant for each other. The addition of wine in the broth makes this sou...
This classic soup never goes out of style. Remember, the better your beef broth, the bette...
Simple, yet delicious. If your garden is overflowing with butternut squash, this is the so...
Although this nutritious soup calls for spinach, it’s equally tasty with Swiss chard. A ...
An exotic addition to your soup repertoire. Fun to make and it presents so well!...