Summer is berry season and there’s no better way to enjoy them than in this colourful, yummy ice cream.
Nova Scotia Berry Ice CreamJuly 6, 2015 Print
Recipe courtesy of Ditta Kasdan, DeeDee’s Ice Cream
Ingredients:For the custard base:
- 3 cups (750 ml) milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) whipping cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) berries—any combination of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) sugar
- Bring the milk to simmer in heavy-bottom pot.
- Meanwhile beat together egg yolks and sugar in large bowl.
- Slowly add hot milk to sugar and eggs while whisking.
- Return mixture to pot, stir in whipping cream and heat slowly until a bit thick. Do not boil as it may curdle.
- Refrigerate mixture, preferably overnight.
- Purée berries and sugar, allow to sit until sugar dissolves in fruit juice.
- Mix custard base and berry purée thoroughly and freeze in an ice-cream freezer. Makes 6 cups (1.5 litres).
This mixture is super hot and will splatter when you add the cream, so wear long gloves to...
Here’s an old favourite to jazz up any ice cream. The quality of the cocoa will determin...
International travel to countries where coconut ice cream is common inspired this rich and...
The hazelnut paste gives this ice cream a wonderful, nutty dimension....
This ice cream was recommended by a friend, Bud, who recalled the flavourful ginger ice cr...
Rhubarb and ginger is a combination that provides a refreshing zing. Feel free to add more...