This gingerbread goes wonderfully with whipped cream or a soft and unctuous brown sugar caramel sauce.
Sugar Queen’s GingerbreadNovember 25, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Annaleisa Scigliano
- 1/2 cup (100 g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (113 g) butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) molasses
- 2 1/2 cups (325 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) hot water
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour a 9-inch (23-cm) square pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Beat in the egg and mix in the molasses.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Blend into the creamed mixture. Stir in the hot water.
- Bake for 1 hour, until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan before serving.