Pat says, “This recipe was passed down to me from a friend who got this from his grandmother in England. It is very easy to make and so full of flavours…It goes well with any comfort food.”
Apple and Green Tomato ChutneyNovember 2, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Pat Belval
- 6 lbs (2.7 kg) green tomatoes
- 2 lbs (1 kg) apples
- 2 pints (1 L) distilled vinegar
- 3 lbs (1.3 kg) onions
- 3 lbs (1.3 kg) demerara sugar (brown sugar)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground mace
- 12 slightly crushed cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) white pepper
- 4 oz (85 g) mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 ml) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Wash and clean apples and tomatoes.
- Cut into pieces or use food processor.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Cook in vinegar for 1 hour.
- Add sugar and spices and cook for another 1.5 hours.
- Jar while hot and seal. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes. Makes about 10, 250-ml jars.
This recipe was featured in the article Time in a bottle.