Dale says, “Moose is a popular weekend dish and while many freeze their moose meat, we love bottled moose meat. This is our favourite recipe.”
Baccalieu Barbecue Moose MeatNovember 2, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Dale Cameron
- 6 lbs. (2.7 kg) moose meat
- 1 cup (250 ml) ketchup
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) mustard
- tomato juice (if needed)
- Cut moose meat into stewing sized pieces. Ensure it is well trimmed.
- Place meat in pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes at 10 lbs pressure.
- Remove meat from cooker and place into jars until each jar is three-quarters full, ensuring not to pack the meat too tightly or the sauce will not evenly distribute.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour over moose meat leaving 2.5 cm head space.
- Wipe jar rims with clean dry cloth and place jars in a canner, cover with warm water and bring to a rolling boil. Lower heat to a steady boil and cook for 3.5 hours.
- When ready to enjoy the bottled moose, simply pour it into a frying pan with fresh chopped onion and heat through.
This recipe was featured in the article Time in a bottle.