These hefty bagels are perfect with a dab of butter. They also make perfect BLTs.
Yields 18 bagels at +/- 130 grams each
Correction: The amount of flour use in this recipe was misstated in the print edition. The correct amount appears below. East Coast Living regrets the error.
Recipe courtesy of Neal Bowers
- 1400 grams (3.1 lb) all-purpose flour
- 800 grams (28 oz) room temperature water
- 150 grams (5.3 oz) warm water
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) honey
- 1 package yeast
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 25 grams (.88 oz) salt
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups (250 ml to 375 ml) sharp cheddar cheese
- Make soaker in large bowl using 800 g (1.8 lb) flour and half room temperature water. Mix and let stand for one hour.
- In small bowl, mix warm water, honey, and yeast. When mixture is foamy, add to soaker with remaining room temperature water, remaining flour, peppers, and salt. Mix until thoroughly blended.
- Turn dough out on a table or counter to knead. Knead seven to 10 minutes, adding in remaining flour until incorporated and the dough is bouncy and smooth.
- Transfer to greased bowl and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour to 90 minutes depending on room temperature.
- Punch down dough and place on floured surface. Divide dough into 18 pieces, about 110 grams (4 oz) each, and form into small balls.
- Let balls rest, covered with a towel, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Form bagel shape by poking thumb and middle finger through. Squeeze and rotate until desired size and shape is achieved.
- Place on floured surface and cover with towel to rise for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring large pot of water to boil. Working in batches of three to four, carefully boil bagels for about one minute, flipping once during boiling.
- Remove bagels with slotted spoon. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Most ovens will fit six bagels each on three baking sheets.
- Top each bagel with small handful of cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes at 193 to 204°C (380 to 400°F). Bagels should be slightly brown with crispy cheese.
- Bread is done when probe thermometer inside the bagel reads 93°C (200°F).