Japanese style baked oystersSeptember 13, 2022 Print
Recipe courtesy of DEon Oyster Company Ltd.
- 12 oysters
- 1/3 cup Japanese style mayo (kewpie) or regular mayo
- 1 tbsp miso paste (try dashi style)
- 1/2 tbsp mirin (Japanese cooking wine. You may substitute with half honey, half sake if needed)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and mozzarella
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Rock salt for plating
1. Turn oven broiler on low. Prepare a cookie sheet with crumpled aluminum foil (so that your oysters stay upright). Shuck all of your oysters and ensure to loosen them from the bottom of the shell. Discard top of shell and place bottom shell with oyster onto your prepared cookie sheet. (You may substitute aluminum foil for rock salt if you wish, or you may place oysters directly onto 400ºF preheated grill).
2. Next, mix all sauce ingredients except for sesame seeds, cheese and lemon wedges until smooth. Taste. Add a pinch of salt or white pepper if desired.
3. Spoon 1/2 tbsp of sauce onto each oyster, top with cheese, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp sesame.
4. Broil on low for four to eight minutes (watch closely) until cheese is bubbling.
5. Prepare a serving plate with rock salt. Place cooked oysters on rock salt and serve with lemon wedges.