This sausage can be served with a variety of sauces such as a beet, chipotle purée.
Chef Dave Woodley of Gio
“We presented our trio of sausages (Lamb Corn Dog with a Beet and Chipotle Purée, Scallop Sausage with Squid Ink, Chorizo Sausage with Mustard Aioli) on a paint palate to match the vibrant colours of Jonathan Legate’s room and the wall of art. I didn’t want to over-think it. Simple, rustic—that’s what we do at Gio.”
Recipe courtesy of Chef Dave Woodley of Gio
For the lamb filling:
For the corn dog batter:
- 2 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 lbs (1.3 kg) ground lamb
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup (250 ml) cornmeal
- 1 cup (250 ml) milk
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Fine dice shallots and garlic.
- Remove stems from rosemary and thyme and chop fine.
- In large bowl combine all lamb filling ingredients. Mix well, season with salt and pepper.
- Form lamb into 1-oz (30-g) sausages.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) on parchment for 8 to 10 minutes, until fully cooked, let cool.
- Combine batter ingredients, mix well
- In medium pot or deep fryer heat 4 to 8 cups (1 to 2 L) canola oil to 350°F (175°C)
- Toss sausages in batter until completely coated. With metal tongs gently drop in oil, fry until golden brown.