Delicious cookies are part of what has earned Scanway Catering its status for delectable desserts. The blend of spices along with molasses gives these cookies a flavourful kick. Note: The version of this recipe published in the Fall 2015 issue listed the wrong amount of sugar. In scaling down this recipe, we miscalculated the amount. The correct amount of sugar is 3 and a half cups plus 3 tablespoons (see the recipe below). We regret the error.
Recipe courtesy of Geir Simensen, Scanway Catering
- 1 1/8 cups (280 ml) butter
- 3 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp (920 ml) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) molasses
- 4 cups (1 L) flour
- 6 tsp (90 ml) baking soda
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground ginger
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) cloves
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 ml) cardamom
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar, add eggs and molasses.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients together and then stir in with creamed ingredients.
- Divide into cookie-sized portions, roll in a bit of sugar, press down with palm of your hand on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 10 minutes or until done.
Molasses provides this sauce with depth and intense flavour. It’s versatile, so you can ...
The addition of molasses creates a rich, savoury sweetness that takes these onions to a wh...
Nothing celebrates molasses quite like baked beans....
When it’s time for a real treat, what can be better than doughnuts? And these ones are s...
Molasses provides a great sugar substitute for the fruit filling in this yummy crisp with ...
Diane Tye’s mother baked a lot of cookies, as discussed in Diane’s book, Baking as Bio...