When Ethel Tibbo was growing up in Fortune Bay, Newfoundland, her mother made these potato cakes every Saturday.
Newfoundland Cranberry Potato CakesDecember 9, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Ethel Tibbo
- 8 good-sized potatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) or 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) chopped salt pork
- 1 egg
- pinch of pepper
- 2 cups (500 ml) flour
- 3 cups (750 ml) cranberries
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- lemon juice to taste
- Peel potatoes and boil. When done, drain, add butter and mash them while still hot.
- Add the pork and mix well. Let cool.
- Add the egg and pepper. Mix it through and add flour so it sticks together.
- Make into little balls and flatten them down.
- Either fry until browned or bake them at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour or until browned.
- Bring cranberries and water to a boil.
- When cranberries pop, stir in sugar and cook for a few more minutes and keep stirring until nearly all berries have popped.
- Add a bit of lemon juice. Spread cranberry sauce over potato cakes and serve.
This recipe was featured in the article Cooking with cranberries.