There is something deeply satisfying about these cakes. Not overly sweet and filling, they’re a perfect midday snack.
Recipe courtesy of Margaret Pearson
- 2 cups (500 ml) oatmeal (not instant)
- 1 cup (250 ml) all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) shortening
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking soda
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix dry flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda together. Using a pastry cutter, cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.
- Add in hot water and stir until mixture sticks together.
- Turn out onto floured surface and press mixture together.
- Roll out to approximately 1/2 inch thick. Cut into squares or circles.
- Place on parchment lined cookie sheet, then brush with milk and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake in oven for 10–12 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.