This truly unique Canadian macaroni & cheese experience starts with combining the distinctive nostalgia of home-styled comfort classics such as Cheddar, sage and mushrooms, and memorably finishes by pairing them with the luxurious flavours of hazelnuts, Blue cheese and Jerusalem artichokes.
Nutty Home-Style Mac & CheeseApril 14, 2016 Print
Recipe courtesy of Chef Alexandra Feswick, chef de cuisine The Drake Hotel, Toronto, ON
- 1 lb (500 g) Jerusalem artichokes, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 cups (750 mL) 2% milk, divided
- 1½ cups (375 mL) 35% whipping cream, divided
- 1 pkg (150 g) Beech mushrooms, trimmed and separated (about
- 2 cups [500 mL])
- ¼ cup (60 mL) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) each ground nutmeg and black pepper
- 1 lb (500 g) cavatelli pasta
- 1½ cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian 7-year‐old Cheddar cheese
- 1½ cups (375 mL) shredded Niagara Gold cheese
- 2/3 cups (150 mL) crumbled Blue d’Elizabeth cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Alpindon cheese
- Heat oven to 375°F (160°C). Line baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In medium bowl, toss half of the whole, unpeeled Jerusalem artichokes with oil and alt. Place on a prepared baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes or until artichokes are soft, easily poked with a fork. Place roasted artichokes in blender with 1/2 cup (125 ml) of milk and 1/2 cup (125 ml) of cream; blend on high until smooth. Set aside.
- In medium saucepan, combine remaining milk and cream, heat over medium heat until bubbles start to form around the edge of the saucepan and steaming about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, dice the remaining Jerusalem artichokes into 1/2-inch (1 cm) pieces. Add to heated milk and cream mixture and cook over low heat until soft when poke with a fork, about 20 minutes. Strain Jerusalem artichokes and reserve milk and cream mixture. Return milk and cream mixture into saucepan; add mushrooms and cook on low heat until mushrooms soften, about 3 minutes. Strain mushrooms and reserve milk and cream mixture.
- In clean medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in flour until fully incorporated. Stirring constantly with wooden spoon, cook for 5 minutes. Slowly whisking reserved milk and cream mixture, nutmeg and pepper. Simmer on low heat, constantly stirring until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and spread on parchment lined baking sheet; set aside. Preheat oven to high broil.
- Remove, sauce from heat and whisk in one at a time the Cheddar, Niagara Gold and Blued’ Elizabeth cheeses (the sauce will be thick and stringy with melted cheese). Stir in reserved Jerusalem artichoke puree.
- In large pot, mix together sauce, pasta, and reserved Jerusalem artichokes and mushrooms until will combined. Transfer into a 13x9-inch (3L) glass baking dish and sprinkle with Alpindon cheese. Broil on middle rack, until bubbly and top is crispy, about 5 minutes.
- In small bowl, combine breadcrumbs, nuts, parsley, Alpindon cheese, sage, and salt. Sprinkle over hot pasta in dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
The rich and earthy flavour of roasted cauliflower and mushrooms highlights the robust fla...