This cake is a family favourite at Glynnis Kennedy’s home in Newfoundland. The orange flavour is a sweet, citrusy twist on a traditional cake.
Orange Cake with Orange Cream-Cheese FrostingNovember 26, 2013 Print
Recipe courtesy of Glynnis Kennedy, Kennedy Cakes
Ingredients:For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups (425 ml) cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh orange juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) butter, softened
- 1 8-oz (250 ml) package of cream cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) orange zest
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh orange juice
- 8 cups (2 L) icing sugar
Directions:For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- Add in remaining wet ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth.
- Pour into three 8-inch prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in centre of cake comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and let cool completely on racks.
- Cream together butter, cream cheese and orange zest in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add orange juice until combined.
- Gradually add icing sugar and beat until smooth and creamy.
Use this traditional buttercream on its own or add a bit of zest from citrus fruits or aro...
P.E.I. baker Jennifer Prinz says this cake is perfect for colder weather....
Dawn Lee says besides chocolate cake, vanilla remains one of the top sellers at her bakery...
The cream-cheese icing on this carrot cake helps balance out its spices and sweetness. It'...