Partridgeberries are replete in the acidic soils of Newfoundland’s coastal headlands. This tart sauce is the perfect accompaniment for pancakes or French toast.
Partridgeberry SauceNovember 2, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Dale Cameron
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh partridgeberries
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) water
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Put all ingredients in a heavy bottom pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 1 full minute.
- Turn off the heat and allow to rest and cool. Yields about 6 cups of partridgeberry sauce.
This recipe was featured in the article Time in a bottle.