Rhubarb and strawberry—a match made in heaven. You can use your favourite pastry recipe for the crust.
Rhubarb Strawberry PieMay 14, 2012 Print
Recipe courtesy of Richard Julien, Chef Live
- 1 ¼ cups (310 ml) sugar
- 1/8 tsp (.5 ml) salt
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh rhubarb cut in 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) sugar for glazing the top pastry shell
- Combine sugar, salt, flour and cinnamon.
- Arrange half the rhubarb and strawberries in a pastry-lined, 9-inch (23-cm) pie pan.
- Sprinkle with half the sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining fruit and sugar mixture.
- Dot with butter. Install top crust and flute edges to make high-standing rim. Brush top of pie with cold water and sprinkle sugar. Cut steam vents in top crust.
- Bake in hot oven 425°F (220°C) 40 to 50 minutes or until rhubarb is tender and crust is browned.