Featuring fresh rosemary from the garden, this recipe is a delicious variation of caramelized apple tart
Roasted Apple and Rosemary TartOctober 21, 2011 Print
Recipe courtesy of Courtesy Dalvay-by-the-Sea, Dalvay, P.E.I. Recipe found in "Apples" by Elaine Elliot and Virginia Lee (Formac, 2006)
Ingredients:For the pastry:
- 1 3/4 cups (425 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp (140 ml) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cold water
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) butter, melted
- ½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 4 baking apples, peeled, cored and cut in wedges
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) heavy cream (35% mf)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- For the pastry: Sift flour, sugar and salt together in a mixing bowl. Rub butter into flour mixture until sandy in texture. Gradually add water and mix until dough is smooth but not sticky. Wrap dough in plastic wrap, refrigerate and let rest for at least 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Grease and flour a 9-inch (23-cm) spring form cake pan. Roll out pastry on a floured surface to 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thickness. Carefully place pastry in pan; line with foil and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 10 minutes or until pastry is cooked. Remove foil and beans and let cool.
- For the apple filling: Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). In a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, cinnamon and rosemary. Dip apple segments in butter mixture and coat well. Place apples close together on a baking sheet and bake until they are slightly softened and have caramelized, about 8 to10 minutes. Watch apples carefully so that they not burn. Remove from oven and cool.
- For the custard: Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Arrange apple filling on baked pastry. Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla and sugar and pour over apples. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until custard is set. Remove from oven and cool. Serve alone, or with whipped cream or a favourite sauce. Serves 8.