Smoked Cod DipJune 8, 2021 Print
Recipe courtesy of Taylor McMeekin, Fogo Island Fish
Ingredients:Spice Mix (for the 200 g piece of cod)
- 5 g salt
- 2 g fennel seed
- 2 g black pepper corn
- 200 g (6-7 oz) Fogo Island cod
- 30 g (1 ea) shallot - chopped fine
- 5 g (2 cloves) roast garlic - crushed
- 20 g (1) green onion - sliced thin
- 5 g (1 tsp) grainy mustard
- 5 g pickled onion - chopped fine
- 5 g (5) chive - chopped fine
- 3 g (2 sprigs) tarragon - picked and chopped fine
- 3 g dill - picked and chopped fine
- 10 g (half lemon) lemon juice 250 mL sour cream full fat
To prepare the spiced cod
1. Grind pepper and fennel with morter and pestal until fine. Mix with salt. Season fish with seasoning and let stand at room temp for 2 hours to smoke.
2. Heat BBQ 1 side on, to around 250°F and remove grill from same side. Place 100 g maple or cherry wood chips in tinfoil pouch or pie plate.
4. Light on fire, put flames out when coals have started (approximately 1/4 burnt) place pan or foil on heat and fish on cold side of grill.
5. Keep lid closed for 30 min.( try to keep temp regulated as close to 250 as possible.)
6. Let fish cool completely.
To prepare the dip
1. Add all ingredients into bowl and mix vigorously, taste and season with salt if necessary, serve with your favourite regular potato chips, or crackers.
A hearty stew, inspired by Italian Cioppino, featuring sustainable fish and local Nova Sco...