P.E.I. baker Jennifer Prinz says this cake is perfect for colder weather.
Spiced Applesauce Cake with Cinnamon Cream-Cheese FrostingNovember 26, 2013 Print
Recipe courtesy of Jennifer Prinz, City View Bakery, and adapted from Gourmet.com
Ingredients:For the cake:
- 2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp (0.6 ml) ground cloves
- 1 8-oz stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped apples
- 5 oz (150 ml) cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (250 ml) icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cinnamon
Directions:For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) with rack in middle.
- Butter an 8 or 9-inch square cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in applesauce.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture until just combined, and then stir in chopped apples.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake until golden-brown and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean,
- 40 to 45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, then invert onto a rack to cool completely.
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Sift icing sugar and cinnamon over cream-cheese mixture, then beat at medium speed until incorporated. Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.
Use this traditional buttercream on its own or add a bit of zest from citrus fruits or aro...
Dawn Lee says besides chocolate cake, vanilla remains one of the top sellers at her bakery...
The cream-cheese icing on this carrot cake helps balance out its spices and sweetness. It'...
This cake is a family favourite at Glynnis Kennedy’s home in Newfoundland. The orange fl...