This dish goes well with potatoes, millet, or any other whole grain.
Squash Portobello Casserole PiecesDecember 2, 2019 Print
Recipe courtesy of Conscious Catering, Scotch Village, Nova Scotia
- 5 cups butternut squash, sliced or cubed
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms, sliced or cubed
- 2 cups fresh or canned tomatoes, pureed
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 sweet bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp each: basil, oregano, parsley and/or rosemary, double if using fresh herbs
- 2 cups shredded cheese (gouda, mozzarella, white cheddar)
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Thinly slice or chop squash. If chopping, steam before adding to baking dish.
- Use squash to cover bottom of greased 9×13 glass or cast-iron casserole dish.
- Over medium heat, sauté remaining ingredients (except cheese) in oil for 5 minutes.
- Pour sauté over squash and spread tomato pureé on top.
- Bake 50 minutes or until fork tender (10–15 minutes less if squash is steamed).
- Add cheese for last 15 minutes.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
This smooth and creamy dip pairs well with multigrain crackers, fresh vegetables, or wrapp...