This elegant and delicate spicy soup with yogurt is a more formal way to enjoy summer’s bounty of fruits and serves 8.
Summer Fruit SoupJune 14, 2013 Print
Recipe courtesy of Michael Silvester/ chefmichaelsilvester.ca
- 2 cups (500 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup
- 1 slice fresh ginger
- 2 pieces or star anise or 1 tsp (5 ml) cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla bean split seed scraped out
- 1 cup (250 ml) Greek plain yogurt
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) toasted almonds or pistachios
- 2-3 plums sliced and pitted
- 2 peaches sliced and pitted
- ½ pint strawberries sliced
- 3 kiwis peeled and sliced
- Handful of fresh blueberries
- Handful of fresh raspberries
- Fresh mint roughly chopped
Directions:For the syrup
- Combine all syrup ingredients and simmer on medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce to lowest heat possible and allow infusing for 1 hour.
- Strain solids and cool liquid. Best flavour is reached if you can allow time to cool overnight in refrigerator.
- Ladle cold or gently warmed soup into each bowl and distribute fruit to your preference to each bowl.
- Top with dollop of Greek yogurt and toasted almonds.
- Sprinkle fresh mint and serve.
This recipe was featured in the article Style and savour.