Chef Marchment was inspired by the spice and fruit markets of Morocco, and decided to serve up a tagine like the ones you would find on the streets of Marrakesh.
Vegetable TagineDecember 14, 2015 Print
Recipe courtesy of Chef Mark Marchment of Elements On Hollis
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut 1/2-inch dice
- 3 medium green and yellow zucchini, cut 1/2-inch dice
- 1 fennel, cut 1/2-inch dice
- 5 tomatoes (preferably roma) cut 1/2-inch dice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) golden raisins
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dried apricots, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pitted black olives
- 1 cup (250 ml) canned chickpeas
- 2 cups (500 ml) canned tomato sauce
- 2 cups (500 ml) vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) toasted cumin seeds, ground
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) toasted and ground coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (23 ml) ground turmeric
- 2 cinnamon sticks, 4 or 5 inches long
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) freshly chopped cilantro for garnish salt and pepper to taste
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Toss potato and sweet potato in 2 Tbsps olive oil, season with salt and pepper, place on cookie sheet, and roast for 25 to 30 minutes until gently browned. 2. Meanwhile, in dutch oven (or any range-to-stove casserole), heat oil over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent, then add fennel and spices. Sauté until fennel softens slightly, stirring often. 3. Add zucchini, raisins, and apricots. Cook until vegetables are al dente (softened slightly but firm to bite). 4. Add chickpeas, olives, diced tomato, cooked potato, and sweet potato. 5. Add stock and tomato sauce, bring to a gentle simmer. 6. Cook until the vegetables are soft, and serve with couscous.
Chef Davis’ cake is like an adult version of a grasshopper square, with a nod to locally...
Chef Johnston and the crew from Breakhouse wanted their visitors and diners to think about...
Chef Hayes keeps it simple, yet classic and tasty with this dish. “Invite your friends o...
Inspired by the cozy and inviting space from Lovely Nova Design, chef Simensen served up a...
Chef Shaver was inspired by the fanciful idea of a backyard BBQ. “An item that I thought...
Chef Wammes thinks that all cooks should have a good brisket recipe in their box. “The s...
Chef Clavel has made a name for himself by using modern techniques in his cooking, constru...
Chef Phipps wanted a real Bay-of-Fundy feel for her dishes. “We thought about the sea an...
Costandi Designs’ room inspiration came from a photo of Mick Jagger from the late 1960s....